Tuesday 6 April 2010

As The Campaign Launches - This Is What I'm Fighting For

At long last, the campaign is under way. The chance to deliver radical, progressive change to North Durham is here. I have spoken to thousands of people over the past few months in North Durham - all hungry for change and I look forward to speaking to thousands more over the next few weeks.

During this campaign, I will be fighting on behalf of:

  • The thousands of people across North Durham who have become unemployed because of Gordon Brown's recession. Unemployment is up by 140% over the past few years. If elected, I will take real action to tackle the jobs crisis, create new jobs and make North Durham and the North East the centre of the green industrial revolution.
  • The hard working people across North Durham who are the victims of anti social behaviour, which affects our area so badly. The old lady I spoke to who is scared to leave her house after dark. The single mother who is terrified of the anti social behaviour in her neighbourhood. The local angling club who cannot go to their traditional 'spot' because of anti social behaviour.
  • The proud North Easterners, such as myself, who feel taken for granted and ignored. I have made quite clear that, if elected, I will ALWAYS put the North East and North Durham first.
  • The local people who, quite rightly, want and expect first rate public services for all. That is why I'm supporting year on year spending increases on the NHS. That is why I want to protect local GPs' surgeries against Labour cuts. That is why I'm supporting the strengthening and protection of local Sure Start centres.
  • The pensioners who have seen their savings and pensions decimated by the Government. I will be fighting to ensure that pensioners get a fair deal and that, at last, the link between pensions and earnings is re-established.
  • The local people who have seen the Labour Party they were brought up in betray their interests. They have seen a Labour Government support super rich bankers at the expense of manufacturing industry. They have seen a Labour Government preside over mass unemployment and widening inequality. I was brought up with the strong values and instincts of our area. I'm proud of those values. I will be the candidate fighting for progressive, radical values in North Durham in this election.
This campaign is not about old style party politics. I am standing up for the thousands of people ready to vote for change and vote for a Conservative candidate for the first time in their lives.

I will be updating this blog on a daily basis. Please feel free to add comments.

If you want to donate to the campaign for change in North Durham, you can do so via the following link: http://tinyurl.com/y9whlnx

No comments:

Post a Comment